Morbark, LLC, a leading manufacturer of forestry, biomass, tree care, sawmill, and wood recycling equipment, recently debuted two new machines: the 6400XT Wood Hog Horizontal Grinder and the 50/48X Whole Tree Drum Chipper.
"Morbark listened closely to our customers when we developed both the 6400XT Wood Hog and the 50/48X Drum Chipper," said Michael Stanton, Morbark Director of Industrial Sales. "We took our previous proven design technology and added the features our customers want and the versatility they need when we created these high-production units."
6400XT Wood Hog Horizontal Grinder
"The Model 6400XT is the newest model in Morbark's next-generation platform of horizontal grinders," said Stanton. "Industry demands for high-production mobile units that meet stringent logistic restrictions but remain economically viable were the leading drivers during the design phase."
The 6400XT includes many feature improvements present in the smaller 3400XT, introduced last year. The infeed bed is 24 inches (60.96 cm) longer than previous Morbark grinders in the 1,000-plus horsepower range and has sloped sides. This configuration improves operator sight lines for more efficient loading of material. Standard on the 6400XT is a removable infeed chain return floor, which allows excess material to fall away to minimize the wear on the floor, bed chain and inserts, particularly useful in land-clearing or other applications with dirty material.
Also similar to the 3400XT is the focus on transportability. The 6400XT weighs in at less than 96,500 lb (43,772 kg) and measures 11'51/2" (3.49 m) wide with the standard Caterpillar 325L undercarriage with 600mm double grousers, allowing the unit to be transported to nearly all domestic and international markets.
"When we introduced the 3400XT last year, our customers responded very favorably," explained Stanton. "It had a major impact on the market, and we expect the 6400XT to be as well received."
The 6400XT has several operator-friendly features focusing on accessibility for daily maintenance, including:
• The extended 31.5" wide (80 cm, 25% increase) platform between the hood and engine for ease of changing grates and access to diesel engine
• A fixed work platform for better access and safety during common grate and hammermill maintenance
• A hydraulic hinged door and hood locking system to provide quick access during grate changes — the hydraulics unlock with a simple turn of a knob
• A consolidated area for oil and hydraulic filters
• An independent hammermill drive tensioning system for ease of adjustment
• The larger feedwheel (40"/101.6 cm diameter, an increase of more than 15%), which raises 17" (43.2 cm) above the current 4600XL yoke and 11" (27.9 cm) above the 6600 yoke to allow better access to the hammermill during insert inspection
Another key improvement is the 42" x 61" (107 cm x 155 cm) solid-plate rotor with 3" (7.6 cm) retaining rods and a 42" (106.7 cm) tip swing. The standard hammer pattern is 18 hammers with 18 rakers, but like all Morbark rotors, it can be configured to multiple patterns for various application requirements.
The standard engine options for the 6400XT are the Caterpillar C27, 1,050-hp (783 kW) engine or Caterpillar C32, 1200-hp (895 kW) engine, both Tier 4 Final.
Morbark's proven and exclusive driveline protection system is standard on all Wood Hog models. The externally adjustable, break-away torque limiter helps to protect the driveline and hammermill from catastrophic damage caused by contaminants.