Valparaiso, Indiana rolls out carts with The Recycling Partnership
The Recycling Partnership is pleased to announce its latest city partner, Valparaiso, IN. Here are the key details:
• Starting February 26th, the city will roll out carts to 2,300 households, helping the city's effort to replace all households recycling blue bins with 96-gallon recycling carts.
• As a result of this programmatic upgrade, the city anticipates an increase of at least 460 tons per year of recycled materials.
• This equates to 1,008 metric tons of greenhouse gas avoidance - or, over 2 million gallons of water saved.
• The Recycling Partnership will support the roll-out with grant dollars, technical assistance, and educational resources.
• Valparaiso is the 16th community the Partnership has partnered with to put recycling carts on the ground, bringing the total number of carts the organization has put on the ground to over 412,000.
"Valparaiso's dedication to completing their transition from bins to carts is evident in their speed, efficiency, and detail-oriented nature," said Cody Marshall, Vice President of Technical Assistance for The Recycling Partnership. "We are pleased to provide the City with the final funding dollars to unify its recycling program and the support to launch its new "We're on a Roll" campaign.
"The Recycling Partnership has provided the City of Valparaiso with not only funding, but also the necessary resources and assistance to ensure our recycling program yields great results in the years to come," said Kimberly Sut, Executive Assistant and Office Manager for the City of Valparaiso's Department of Public Works. "These 2,300 carts will help Valparaiso increase participation, capture more high-quality recyclables, and make it easier for our residents to do their part."
The Recycling Partnership is a national nonprofit organization that applies corporate partner funding to improve the recycling system in cities and towns across the nation, thus increasing supplies of clean materials for manufacturing. The Recycling Partnership is the only organization in the country that engages the full recycling supply chain: from the corporations that manufacture products and packaging, to local government charged with recycling, to industry end markets, haulers, material recovery facilities, and converters, positively effecting recycling at every step in the process and transforming recycling in towns all across America. Between 2015 and today, The Recycling Partnership has assisted more than 500 communities with tools, resources and technical support. It has provided 412,000 recycling carts, reached 29 million households, and helped catalyze more than $27 million in recycling infrastructure. In doing so, it has achieved results in the form of: 382 million gallons of water saved, 164,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas avoidance, reductions in targeted contamination rates, and an energy savings of 2.0 trillion BTU / year.