Progressive Waste Solutions Ltd. Launches New Automated Waste Collection Service In Chatham-Kent
Progressive Waste Solutions Ltd. has announced the official launch of its new automated waste collection service in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.
“We are committed to providing the safest, most environmentally responsible and efficient waste collection services for our municipal customers across North America,” said George South, Area Manager (Ontario) for Progressive Waste. “The new automated waste collection service will provide added convenience for residents, minimize litter on local streets and reduce safety risks posed to both drivers and residents by distracted drivers near the waste collection process.”
The benefits of automated waste collection include:
- Wheeled containers are easier, more maneuverable and safer for residents because there is no carrying or lifting of heavy garbage bags or cans;
- Automated collection virtually eliminates street litter after pickups and the containers' lids keep crows, skunks, raccoons and other animals away from waste materials;
- The new cart is fully compatible with the Municipality’s curbside bylaw and three bag limit;
- Collection crews stay in their vehicles reducing the chance for employee injuries associated with manual collection;
- Improved safety for the public as automated collection routes are designed for right-side only collection reducing the number of unprotected left turns on the streets.
“I have tried these wheeled containers myself, and they are safe and easy to handle,” said Chatham-Kent Mayor Randy Hope. “Best of all, they have a tight seal so the crows and raccoons are going to be disappointed. This is a big green step forward for Chatham-Kent.”
Progressive Waste will distribute the new waste collection carts to each residence in the community of Chatham over an approximately two-week period starting July 6, 2015. The carts will be free of charge and contain a flyer explaining the proper use of the cart. The new automated waste collection system will be rolled out to smaller communities within Chatham-Kent later this summer and into the fall.
Progressive Waste completed a successful trial run of the new service in the communities of Tilbury and Wallaceburg earlier this year. The Company’s local and senior management teams have many years’ experience implementing automated collection services. The official launch with the Municipality of Chatham-Kent was part of an information program to build awareness and understanding of the new carts use and the collection service.
“Progressive Waste currently provides automated waste collection services to many municipalities across North America and we’re proud to bring this service to Municipality of Chatham-Kent,” said Mr. South.