Republic Services ahead of schedule to reach emissions reduction targets, says new report
Republic Services, Inc. has released its 2021 Sustainability Report, which highlights the company's efforts supporting decarbonization and circularity and outlines continued progress toward 2030 sustainability goals. Achievements include a 9 percent reduction in operational greenhouse gas emissions over the 2017 baseline year, ahead of pace to reach the company's interim target of a 10 percent reduction by 2025, and the development of an integrated plastics recycling facility.
"At Republic Services, we view sustainability as more than just how we operate. We see it as a platform for growth, allowing us to innovate and invest in projects that will deliver significant environmental and economic benefits over time," says Jon Vander Ark, president and chief executive officer.
Republic plans to partner with customers to create a more sustainable world. This approach begins with its elements of sustainability – which include safety, talent, climate leadership, and communities. In addition to tracking progress toward these goals, the 2021 Sustainability Report includes new disclosures around environmental justice, supplier diversity, and biodiversity conservation.
Additional highlights from the report:
- Recorded 38 percent better safety performance than the industry average over the past 10-year period.
- Swept the industry's Driver and Operator of the Year awards
- Made notable strides with women in management, with top leadership positions more than doubling between 2019 and 2021.
- Unveiled two innovative talent retention and development programs – the Tech Institute and Leadership Academy.
Climate leadership highlights
- Announced development of a polymer centre to advance plastics circularity and support recycled content goals
- Formed joint venture to develop 39 landfill renewable natural gas projects.
- Pledged $2 million toward Phoenix's Hance Park revitalization.
- Positively impacted nearly 6 million people through charitable giving since 2018.
In 2021, Republic Services was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the sixth consecutive year, receiving a top score for environmental reporting and materiality. The company also was recognized on Barron's 100 Most Sustainable Companies, Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, and 3BL Media's 100 Best Corporate Citizens lists.