ISRI's 2024 Design for Recycling award is open for applications
ISRI has opened applications for its 2024 Design for Recycling (DFR) Award. The DFR Award is ISRI's highest recognition given annually to the most outstanding product designed with recycling in mind. The award recognizes the steps made by manufacturers who have actively incorporated DFR principles into products and manufacturing processes.
"ISRI's Design for Recycling award recognizes innovation in product design and manufacturing, which is more critical than ever to creating a sustainable planet," said ISRI President Robin Wiener. "As manufacturers work to ensure sustainability goals are met, incorporating recycling into a product's design from the conception phase is critical. We applaud those manufacturers who factor in recyclability when designing their products, recognizing that a product's usefulness does not end when the original intent of the product has run its course."
ISRI's DFR award has highlighted the successes of product design. Recent winners include Sonoco Alloyd, Cascade Engineering, Lexmark, and Nestlé Waters North America.
Applicant products are evaluated against the following Design for Recycling criteria:
- Contain the maximum amount of materials that are recyclable.
- Be easily recycled through current or newly designed recycling processes and procedures.
- Be cost-effective to recycle, whereby the cost to recycle does not exceed the value of its recycled materials.
- Be free of hazardous materials that are not recyclable or impede the recycling process.
- Minimizes the time and cost involved in recycling the product.
- Reduce the use of raw materials by including recycled materials and/or components.
Companies can submit their products for 2024 DFR Award consideration using the online form or electronic application on or before the February 12, 2024 deadline. Applicants will be notified by March 11, 2024. The winner will be officially recognized at the ISRI2024 Convention and Exposition.