The Environmental Research & Education Foundation (EREF) was awarded a 4-Star rating from Charity Navigator (the highest achievable status) and the Silver Seal of Transparency from GuideStar, in December. These awards solidify the Foundation's reputation as an empirical source for solid waste scientific research.
GuideStar and Charity Navigator, assessment organizations that rate charities based on how they are managed, provide donors peace of mind that their money is going to a credible organization who uses donations as indicated. In order to qualify for the highest ratings, an organization must meet certain criteria, such as demonstrating that the majority of funds raised directly support programs rather than administration, sound financial health and ensuring transparency and accountability.
After receiving the Silver Seal of Transparency from GuideStar, EREF became eligible to participate in the AmazonSmile program. When customers, who have selected EREF as their charity of choice, purchase an eligible item on smile.amazon.com, Amazon donates 0.5% of the item's price to EREF.
EREF's listings on GuideStar and Charity Navigator open the organization up to greater opportunities for exposure and engagement with potential donors.
"Over the years, EREF's presence within the waste industry has expanded substantially. Being named a top-tier charity opens up opportunities to increase awareness in other industries as well as the public," said Jim Dowland, EREF Board of Directors Chairman. "I am proud to chair the Board of an organization that continues to put its mission first."
Thanks to the continued generosity of donors and stakeholders, EREF will celebrate 25 years furthuring solid waste research and education in 2019. Primarily through the support of the solid waste field, EREF has been able to achieve the highest levels of funding ever for its research, scholarship and data programs.
• Scholarship: Awards scholarships to graduate students demonstrating excellence in solid waste education.
• Research Grants: Funds hypothesis driven solid waste research.
• Data & Policy: Aggregates data and analyzes related policy on topics vital to the industry while supporting students working towards their college degrees.
• Education: Shares cutting edge research/industry information and tackles key issues through in-person meetings, online courses and webinars.
• Internship in Excellence: Connects waste industry companies and college students seeking summer employment with the goal to educate and encourage a passion for the industry.
"In recent years, we have been able to award more grants and scholarships, provide a place for students to expand their education in solid waste and share the latest industry research," said Dr. Bryan Staley, EREF's President & CEO. "Without the generosity of our donors, none of this would be possible - we are grateful to everyone who gives back and supports EREF."
Funding for EREF's programs supports research into sustainable solid waste practices including scholarships for graduate students, grants, undergraduate internships and educational summits and webinars.