Dart Container opens free foam recycling drop-off in Chicago
Facility accepts used foam cups, foam food containers, egg cartons, electronics packaging and much more
Dart Container Corporation has announced the opening of a new foam drop-off center in Chicago. The center – which is publicly accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is completely free of charge – provides an option for local residents, businesses and organizations to recycle foam labeled with a #6 chasing arrows symbol. Often mistakenly referred to as “Styrofoam,” a trademarked name of Dow Chemical, the product is frequently used to make foam take-out containers.
The Chicago drop-off center, located at 7575 Kostner Avenue, will accept a wide variety of recyclable foam, including foam cups, foam food containers, egg cartons, meat trays, ice chests and packaging frequently used to protect fragile materials like TVs during shipping.
“Dart is pleased to provide Chicago with an opportunity to recycle their expanded polystyrene foam,” said Michael Westerfield, Director of Recycling for Dart Container Corporation. “We offer this service for free and our hope is that this center will encourage Chicago residents to recycle foam materials they might otherwise have thrown away.”
Once collected, the foam is recycled into many different types of products, including picture frames, baseboards and crown molding. The guidelines for participation in the program are as follows:
- Make sure foam has the #6 chasing arrows symbol on it (example below).
- Rinse or wipe food off of foodservice containers.
- Remove straws, lids, tape or any other non-foam material.
- Deposit foam in a clear, sealed bag.
- Do not include foam-packaging peanuts (Call 800-828-2214 or visit www.loosefillpackaging.com for drop-off sites).
- For large deliveries, please contact 773-838-2515.