NDA Recognizes 2015 Awards and Scholarships Winners at 42nd Annual Convention & Expo
The National Demolition Association (NDA) has recognized the winners of its Lifetime Achievement Award, Environmental Excellence Awards and 2015 Scholarship recipients at its 42nd Annual Convention & Expo held March 21 – 24 in Nashville, Tennessee. The annual awards commend members and industry leaders for their efforts in the demolition profession. Awardees were acknowledged during the trade association’s 42nd Annual Banquet that closed out the successful convention.
The 2015 Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Berger Jostad of Viking Demolition for his leadership and commitment to the NDA, as well as his commitment to the betterment of his community, company and the demolition industry as a whole. Berger began his career in 1953 with Madison Moving and Wrecking before joining Viking Demolition in 1985. At Viking Demolition he became an active member of NDA, participating at Board of Director meetings over the years and serving on a number of Committees including stints as Chairman of the Public Relations and Awards Committees. A champion in the industry, Berger has been an instrumental leader in developing incentives through NDA and recruiting more members to the organization.
“Berger’s dedication to the association throughout his career is a true testament to his stature as a thought-leader in the industry,” states Peter Banks, NDA’s new Board President. “With more than fifty years of experience in the demolition industry, Berger understands the ins and outs of our field and has been a valuable member of NDA, embodying our vision and mission on a daily basis.”
Five Environmental Excellence Awards were also presented to companies in the demolition industry that made a significant “quality of life” impact on their community. The intent of the award is to develop and stimulate public awareness of the environmental progress provided by NDA members, recognize leadership and innovation in “green” development, and commend citizens and businesses for their efforts in bettering their local and regional environments. NDA proudly recognized the following:
- Adamo Group Inc. and the City of Detroit and its Agencies for their project Detroit Blight Elimination Objective
- Carl Bolander & Sons Co., Envirobate, J & J Contracting, Mavo Systems, Ramsey County Minnesota, and Wenck Associates Inc. for their project Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP)
- Costello Dismantling Company, Inc., Engelberth Construction, Inc., and Dartmouth College for their project Dartmouth College West Stands
- O’Rourke Wrecking Company for their project MidPointe Crossing Neighborhood Redevelopment/Demolition of the former Swifton Commons Complex
- Winter Environmental, Atlanta Demolition/SSD, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, Dykon Explosive Demolition, and Gilbane Building Company for their project Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta-Former BellSouth Conference Center Demolition
“Our recipients for this year’s awards and scholarships stood out amongst the rest not only for their current dedication to the demolition industry, but their commitment to the field in the future.” States Cheryl Caulfield, NDA Executive Director, “It is with organizations and individuals like these that NDA and the industry will continue to expand and improve upon itself year after year.”
More from Industry News
It's harder than ever to get clean paper. But we've been successfully sorting paper on the front end with optical sorters since 2005. Why have we been so successful? Because we know it's not JUST about the optical. We focus on your entire operation, so you make the most of your fiber line. Is your optical sorter living up to its potential? Call us at 203-967-1100 for a free system evaluation.